What’s new in 2.0?
Short answer: Everything. Octopress is now based on mojombo/jekyll has been completely rewritten from the ground up with a mountain of goodies.
Octopress comes with:
- A semantic HTML5 template
- A Mobile friendly responsive (320 and up) layout (rotate, or resize your browser and see)
- Built in 3rd party support for Twitter, Google Plus One, Disqus Comments, Pinboard, Delicious, and Google Analytics
- An easy deployment strategy using Github pages or Rsync
- Built in support for POW and Rack servers
- Easy theming with Compass and Sass
- A Beautiful Solarized syntax highlighting
Be sure to check out the documentation to get the full scoop.
Most of these plugins have been created just for Octopress, but a few come from the Jekyll community along with improvements and updates.
- HTML5 Video Tag - easily post mp4 HTML5 video with flash player fallback
- Code Block - for easy inline code sharing
- Include Code - embed code from your filesystem
- Gist Tag - automatically downloads and embeds Github gists
- Image Tag - easily post images with class names and titles
- Render Partial - insert any file into another post or page
- Blockquote - generate beautiful, semantic block quotes
- Category Generator - generates archive pages for each blog category
For more plugins check out the plugin list
Ready to Get Started?
Octopress is really easy to set up and deploy, start here.